Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Why Did God Choose the Elect?



The doctrine of election refers to God choosing those who would be His people (Deut. 4:37; John 15:16; Eph. 1:4; 2Thess. 2:13). Even though some people insist they do not believe in predestination or election, the truth is every Christian must believe in both of them because the Bible teaches both (Rom. 8:29; Eph. 1:5, 11). Not all Christians agree on what the Scriptures teach about God predestining and electing (choosing) some to be His people. Some believe God unconditionally and individually chose certain people to save (John 6:37; 10:26-27; Rom. 9:6-18). Others believe God merely chose the conditions whereby people would be saved and left it up to each individual to opt in or out of the group (e.g. Jdg. 7:4-7). Many others believe God looked ahead through time and chose those He knew would one day choose to believe in Him.

This last view of election (that God chose on the basis of foreseen faith) is very common among those who accept God knows all things, including the future free choices of every person (Psa. 139:16; Isa. 46:8-10), but who are reluctant to accept God unconditionally and individually chose to save some. But there is a problem with this understanding of election, many problems, in fact, since this view turns election on its head and has God choosing those who logically chose Him first! Who chose who, according to the Scriptures (Eph. 1:4; 2Thess. 2:13; 1Pet. 1:1-2)? Did we choose God, or did He choose us? And who chose first? Do we choose God and choose to believe in Christ because He chose to make His will known to us (John 6:44; 10:27; Acts 13:48; 16:14), or did He choose us because He foresaw that we would choose Him?

There is a larger problem with this view of election, however, one which strikes directly at the heart of the gospel. If God chose me because He knew I would believe in Him, He must have seen something different in me than He saw in Judas. There must have been something better, more honest, more noble, more moral about me that was not true of others who do not believe. But the Bible is clear, “None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God” (Rom. 3:10-11). I am not saved because I am better than my unbelieving neighbor. The only thing that makes me any different is God’s grace (1Cor. 4:7).

The gospel excludes boasting (Rom. 3:27). It leaves us no room to take pride in ourselves or our work. All glory belongs to God. If I believe I was chosen and am saved because God saw something in better than me, how can I fail to feel superior to others and boast? But if I realize it was God who changed my sin-hardened, dead heart (Ezek. 36:26), who made me alive in Christ (Eph. 2:1-7), who gave me the gift of faith and repentance and enabled me to love and choose Him (John 1:12-13; Php. 1:29; 2Tim. 2:25), then I have no reason for boasting. God chose me, not because of any good He foresaw in me (Rom. 9:11). He did it because He is good (Deut. 7:6-9). And for that, I will forever give Him thanks. -JME