Thursday, October 23, 2014

Should I Be Ashamed of the Country I Love?



Last Sunday I addressed the recent decision by the Arizona Attorney General to issue same sex marriage licenses in our state. I also mentioned the subpoenas that have been issued in Houston, TX in an attempt to compel pastors in that city to turn over any sermons addressing a recent city ordinance regarding transgendered behavior, the mayor, or homosexuality in general. During the sermon while discussing Paul’s exhortation to suffer with Christ in Romans 8:18, I said this:

“If you are shocked that our society would be turning away from God, you either have not been paying attention or you know nothing about history or you haven’t read your Bible much because Jesus has been telling us that’s the way it is in this world. You will have to decide: are you a Christian who follows Jesus, or you worship at the altar of your nationality and your patriotism. I love this country. I love this country. But I’m telling you, after this week I will never again sing ‘I Am Proud To Be An American’ because I’m not. I used to be proud to be an American. Right now I’m ashamed of America. My citizenship is not here. Paul says our citizenship is in heaven in Philippians 3:20 and from it we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. Suffer with Him, that we may be glorified with Him.” (October 19, 2014 – 31:03-32:04)

Video here
           
A number of people were offended by my remarks. Though as of this writing none have come to talk to me directly, it has been relayed to me that some members were angered by what I said. This is an especially sensitive issue since our congregation has a large number of military veterans, including career members of the armed forces. I spent time on Tuesday reviewing what I said, thinking about it, praying about it, and endeavoring to see my comments through the eyes of those who were offended. After giving it careful thought, I stand by what I said and cannot, in good conscience before God, make an apology for it. I believe those remarks are perfectly understandable in context, but since some were offended, allow me to further explain.
           
If your daughter left your home and played the whore in this community, how would you feel? You would still love your daughter I am sure, but would you be ashamed of her? Of course, you would. You would be ashamed because you love her and care about the choices she makes. That is how Ezra felt when his people, his own nation, played the whore with pagan nations and violated the law of their God (Ezra 9:1-3). Ezra prayed and said, “O my God, I am ashamed and blush to lift my face to you, my God, for our iniquities have risen higher than our heads, and our guilt has mounted up to the heavens” (9:6). Did Ezra love his country? Yes, he did. That is why he was ashamed of their godless, sinful behavior. Do I love my country? God knows! That is why I am ashamed of it today.
           
As I write this the estimated number of abortions performed in this country since Roe v. Wade in 1973 stands at 57,285,730. Read that number again. More than fifty-seven and one-quarter million babies who have been aborted by drugs, vacuumed from the uterus, or cut into pieces and scraped out of the womb. Does that offend you? How do you think God feels about it?
           
Now our nation is sanctioning, more than that, promoting, immoral unions between men with men and women with women and daring to call those unions marriage. God refers to such behavior as an “abomination” (Lev. 20:13). The Lord announced through Isaiah, “Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!” (Isa. 5:20) Does such wickedness offend you? How do you think God feels about it?
           
I love my country. That is why I am ashamed of it. You should be too. Our citizenship is in heaven (Php. 3:20). This world is under the power of the devil (1Jn. 5:19). It stands opposed to God, and those who cherish it will perish with it (1Jn. 2:15-17). We are pilgrims here, strangers in a foreign and hostile land (1Pet. 2:11). I thank God for America and the freedoms He gave us. I thank Him for the servicemen and women who have stood in harm’s way to secure and defend our freedoms. But God did not give us this freedom to do wickedness. I love my country. That is why I am ashamed of it today. -JME