Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Glorify God In Your Body



It is tempting to make Christianity merely an intellectual exercise. After all, reading Scripture, learning theology, and defending sound doctrine are important aspects of the Christian life. But there are other aspects as well, ethical and practical ways in which faith in Christ and redemption by his blood ought to impact day-to-day life. Christianity is not only a mental but also a physical, social, and emotional religion, and we sin if we neglect any one of these facets.

The Scriptures emphasize using our bodies for the will and glory of God. For example, “Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body” (Rom. 6:12), “…present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God” (Rom. 12:1), “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you….So glorify God in your body” (1Cor. 6:19-20), “I discipline my body and keep it under control” (1Cor. 9:27), “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil” (2Cor. 5:10). Clearly it matters to God what we do with and how we use our bodies.

So how can I glorify God in my body?

First, I must live with a reverent awareness of the God who created my body and gave me life. Each day that I live in this body is a reminder of God’s existence and authority as Creator.

Second, I must give careful attention and submission to God’s revealed will concerning my life. The Lord has the right to command my obedience, including how I use my body.

Third, I need to remember I am a steward of this body. The Lord made it, gave it, and will require an account of how I used it.

Fourth, I should anticipate the decline of my body and Christ’s eventual redemption of it. This body will not last, but Jesus promises a spiritual body that will (1Co. 15:50-58; 2Co. 4:16-5:9). -JME