Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Both Saint and Sinner: Which Identity Defines Me? (Part Three)


In two previous installments (here and here) we discussed every believer’s “dual identity” as both saint (Rom. 1:7) and sinner (1Tim. 1:15). Though many vigorously deny it, the Bible uses both terms to describe Christians in this life. But while the Bible describes us as both, it is evident one “identity” is primary in the Christian’s life.
Salvation is more than believing certain facts, saying a prayer, or receiving baptism. It includes a new heart (Ezek. 36:26), adoption as God’s child (Eph. 1:4), redemption from slavery to sin (Titus 2:14), and reconciliation to God (Col. 1:21-22). Salvation is not merely God forgiving what we have done; it is Him changing who we are. We are a “new creation” (2Cor. 5:17). “Our old self was crucified” with Christ (Rom. 6:6); now “Christ…lives in me” (Gal. 2:20). I am a child of God and an heir with Christ (Gal. 4:4-7). Though I sin and fall short, “there is now no condemnation” because I am in Christ (Rom. 8:1).
Because I still sin and realize my imperfection, it is appropriate to describe me as a sinner. But I am not just a sinner, not even primarily a sinner. I am, by God’s grace, a saint. Christ has changed my relationship to Him, and that changes everything. Whereas once I was “foolish, disobedient, led astray” and enslaved to my sin (Titus 3:3), Christ has become for me “wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption” (1Cor. 1:30). Though I was dead in my sin “having no hope and without God” (Eph. 2:1, 12), “now in Christ Jesus… [I] have been brought near by the blood of Christ” (Eph. 2:13). I have peace with God (Rom. 5:1), and having been reconciled by Christ, I have eternal life and “will never perish” (John 10:28).
I am a sinner, but that is not who or what defines me. The Bible commands me to live according to the reality of the change God has made in my life (Eph. 4:17-24). God adopted you; live like His child (Rom. 8:12-17). Christ redeemed you; sin no longer has power over you (Rom. 6:15-18). The Spirit dwells in you; don’t live in ways that grieve Him (Eph. 4:25-32). We are not working for grace; we are working from it. -JME

Part Four