Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Both Saint and Sinner: How Does This Truth Help Me? (Part Four)



Over three other posts (here, here, and here) we have discussed the truth that every Christian is, in this life, both a sinner (Rom. 3:23; 1Tim. 1:15) and a saint (Rom. 1:7; Gal. 3:26-29). We observed that while both terms are used to describe believers, our identification with Christ is primary and determinative in terms of our character, behavior, and hope. Since God has given us the new birth (John 1:12-13), we are being remade in the image of Christ (Col. 3:9-11). Jesus has redeemed us from sin’s penalty and power; therefore, we have power to resist sin and practice righteousness (Rom. 6:15-18). Because the Spirit of God dwells in us, we have confidence in our union with Christ and eventual resurrection (Rom. 8:9-11) and power to resist the fleshly temptations that remain (Rom. 8:12-17).
This is where our discussion of Christian identity becomes practical and helpful. The Bible does not command behavior in order to create a new identity; it commands behavior on the basis of our new identity (Eph. 4:17-24). God speaks to us as a Father, not instructing us how to earn His love and acceptance, but how to live in light of it. Therefore, we ought to hear the commands of Scripture, not with the despair of those under the penalty and power of sin, but as those liberated from it and reconciled to God.
This gives us great encouragement and power for obedience. We obey God ought of joy and gratitude, not slavish fear or terror of His wrath (1 John 4:17-19). God’s work of regeneration and reconciliation, coupled with our union with Christ and the Spirit’s indwelling, shows us we can overcome sin because Christ has defeated it (Rom. 6:1-18).
Anyone who says they cannot do what Scripture commands denies this work of God in their lives. It is unbelief for me to tell God I cannot do what He enables me to do by grace. Can I love my enemy (Matt. 5:43-48)? Yes, I can by grace. Can I forgive my enemy (Col. 3:12-15)? Yes, I can by grace. Can I overcome bitterness, depression, anger, and despair (Eph. 4:25-32)? Yes, I can by grace. The power does not lie in me. It lies in the One who gave Himself for me, who now lives within me (Gal. 2:20; Php. 4:13). Do you trust Him enough to surrender yourself entirely to Him? -JME