Thursday, June 12, 2014

Both Saint and Sinner: How Can I Be Both? (Part Two)



Previously we noted the disagreement between some believers regarding the proper identity (or way to identify) Christians. Some insist believers are saints, not sinners, whereas others insist they are sinners, not saints. But we found that the Bible describes Christians in this life as both (Rom. 1:7; 1Tim. 1:15).
How can both ways of identifying believers be true? There are two answers to this question, one relating to justification and the other to sanctification. Justification (God declaring us righteous) is based, not on our merit or work, but on the righteousness of Christ (2Cor. 5:21). Therefore, while God declares us righteous and holy, we are, in fact, personally unholy and sinful at the time (Rom. 5:6-8). We are both saint (by divine declaration) and sinner (by our deeds).
Sanctification (holiness and conformity to Christ) involves the progressive growth in grace as we obey Christ in the power of the Spirit (Rom. 6:16-18; 2Pet. 3:18). But this progressive sanctification is always incomplete in this life (1Jn. 3:2-3). We are becoming more like Jesus, but we are not altogether like Him yet (2Cor. 3:18). We still fall short of God’s glory (Rom. 3:23). Therefore, while we are growing in saintliness, we still stumble and are sinners (1Jn. 1:8-10). We are both saint (by trajectory) and sinner (by weakness).
Now some will say that our frequent failures and mistakes as believers should not define us as sinners. I wholeheartedly agree, and that will be our subject in the next installment of this series. But when we sin we are, in one respect, sinners. Paul clearly states, “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am [not was] the foremost” (1Tim. 1:15). There is a sense in which even though I am God’s child, I still am properly described as a sinner. My shortcomings are not merely mistakes; they are transgressions against the glory and goodness of God. He loves me. He accepts me in Christ. But I must never view my acceptance in a way that underestimates the gravity of my sin. I am, by God’s grace, a saint, but my appreciation for that grace is all the greater because I realize that I still am a sinner. -JME