Wednesday, April 6, 2022

2022 Reading Q1 Review

I did not post my 2022 reading plan as I did last year, but as in previous years I am logging the books I finish (not just read part or most of) with specific goals in terms of total volumes and distribution in specific categories. Since I posted quarterly reviews of my reading last year (Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4) in hope of encouraging others to think more carefully about what and how they read, I decided to do the same this year. I will not be posting a full list of the volumes read, but I will give an overall sense of the reading and highlight a few titles.


I completed 37 books in the first quarter of 2022. This included five works of theology, six works of philosophy, four books of history, three classics, six biographies, and seven re-reads. My goals for these categories for the year are: 24 works of theology; 12 works each of philosophy, history, classics, and biography; and 18 re-reads. This means I am slightly behind (by one) on works of theology, significantly ahead in philosophy and biography, ahead by one in history, and slightly ahead in re-reads. As I mentioned last year, one of the challenges of this method of recording is distinguishing theology from philosophy, philosophy from history, and history from biography as these so often overlap that the same volume could be put in more than one category. I simply pick the best fit and record it once.


Here are three highlights from the first quarter that deserve special mention.


First, The Light Behind the Sun by Doug Wilson. This is a collection of essays on C. S. Lewis, several of which were previously published, by a man who clearly loves Lewis and has read and thought carefully about him for many years. I had read some of the essays before, but they were still enjoyable the second time, and the work as a whole was enlightening and a very pleasant read. I gave it away as soon as I finished it, but I plan to order another copy.


Second, Aristotle for Everybody by Mortimer Adler. This was originally written for children, but it is a solid introduction to Aristotle’s thought for adult laymen hoping to profit from the Philosopher. One must be careful of these kinds of introductions as they too often misrepresent or slant the presentation of a thinker whose work would be better understood simply by reading the original source. But Aristotle can be difficult, and Adler is careful and respectful in his presentation. If you have not read much of Aristotle’s work but would like to do so, this can be helpful in getting oriented to his thought.


Third, Endurance by Alfred Lansing. This is a classic piece of history about an expedition to Antarctica at the beginning of the 20th century. I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did. It is well-written, historically detailed, and highly engaging. What Shackleton and his crew endured is remarkable, both for its hardships and for the endurance they exercised in the midst of it. Many fans of 20th century history and expeditionary adventures will have already read this, but I never did until January. I am glad I did and am happy to recommend it to those who are interested in the genre.

 --JME