Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Trust...But Verify

This Lord's Day I will begin preaching through Romans 14, but this is not the first time I have tackled this text as a preacher. I first preached on Romans 14 around 1999 or 2000, and I have taught the text in sermons or Bible classes probably around a dozen times since then. You might assume I know this passage so well that there is little new for me to discover. But this week I found something new in the very first verse.

I had never studied Greek or Hebrew when I entered full-time ministry in 1998. My ability with the biblical languages was limited to Strong’s Concordance and a Vine’s or Thayer’s Lexicon. I did the best I knew to do at the time (that’s all I am doing now, I just have a few more tools and a lot more experience), but of course, I made a lot of mistakes. For example, I taught for years that the definite article (the) was absent in the Greek text of Romans 14:1 in describing faith. This was not a big deal since the presence or absence of the article is not conclusive in Greek (as it can be in English). In fact, I (correctly) taught that the passage was referring to a man weak in his understanding of the faith, specifically the extent of liberty in Christ. But imagine my surprise while reading Romans 14:1 in Greek when I stumbled upon a little word: th| (the) faith. It was there all along (often untranslated), so why hadn’t I noticed?

The reason I never noticed that little article is that I had never carefully read the verse in Greek. Even once I learned how, I did not always go back to re-read, re-study, and re-vise my understanding of Bible verses in light of what additional study might uncover. I heard (and read) preachers and commentators confidently affirm that the article was absent in Greek, and I didn’t know any better at the time. My mistake was not in what I did not know; my mistake was repeating and taking for granted something someone else said, something I could not verify and yet confidently affirmed as if I could.

The moral of this little story is: always check what the text says, and always be willing to re-read, re-study, and re-vise your understanding of Scripture upon further, careful examination. Don’t assume that what you’ve been taught or assumed is accurate. In this case, the error I made was relatively minor. But all of us are susceptible to making much greater mistakes, assuming things a pastor or teacher told us is true, without ever doing the careful work of Bible study for ourselves. –JME