Saturday, September 6, 2014

Sin, the Law, and Speed Traps



Well, it finally happened. It is not surprising really. The truth is it could have (and probably should have) happened a hundred times before. After driving in this country for over twenty years, I received a speeding ticket. The fact it came just four weeks after remarking in a sermon that I had never received one (see here starting at 14:00 http://youtu.be/8KySvRQbSfI?t=14m) makes it all the more embarrassing. I knew I was tired as we neared the end of a 37 hour cross-country drive with five kids in the van, so I was using my cruise control almost exclusively. But it happened anyway. I passed through a small town in Arizona with a reputation as a speed trap. I never noticed (and still have no idea) when I crossed from one zone into another, but a week after arriving back home, I received a citation in the mail and a picture of my offense from a traffic camera.

I suppose this would be an opportune moment to reflect on the use of traffic cameras in general and the unfairness of their use in this case, but that would detract from the larger lesson to be learned and probably say more about my self-justifying sinful nature than the inequity of the system. The truth is I broke the law. Whether I intended to do so and whether I like the way my transgression was dealt with, the fact of my guilt remains. Since I am preaching through Romans in 2014-2015, Paul’s use and interpretation of the law is frequently on my mind. My own transgression and its disclosure in this case is an interesting illustration of something the apostle makes clear in his epistle to the Roman saints.

John Stott in his excellent commentary on Romans points out the law reveals sin, provokes sin, and condemns sin (The Message of Romans, IVP: 1994, 202-205). This three-fold relationship between our sin and God’s law is amply demonstrated in chapters 3, 5, and 7 (e.g. 3:19-20; 5:13-14, 20; 7:7-13). Sin is transgression of God’s law (1John 3:4). Thus the more law is revealed, the more sin there will be. This is not to suggest that ignorance of the law is any excuse. On the contrary, sin existed even apart from the explicit, written revelation of God’s laws to Israel (Rom. 5:13-14). But once the law was given, and as individuals become personally aware of it (cf. Rom. 7:9), the nature and extent of our sin becomes apparent. If we only have the law, our inability to keep it due our inherited depravity leaves us without hope and subject to eternal separation and despair (Rom. 5:12-21; Eph. 2:1-3). The law can expose our sin, but it is ultimately without power to save.

What does all of this have to do with my tripping a traffic camera and receiving a speeding ticket? The latter is an apt illustration of our experience with God’s law and sin. We are driving along, blissfully unaware of our actual relationship to God’s law. We feel confident we are doing pretty well. Maybe our moral life is a little over the limit, perhaps five miles or so, but we feel sure we are well within the buffer of grace. We become complacent. We disregard the signs. Then suddenly, we find ourselves smacked in the face with proof of our own disobedience. How do we respond? Do we seek to justify ourselves? Do we protest the unfairness of it all? Do we lament the weight of the penalty? I did all of these, if not verbally, at least in my mind, when I received my citation in the mail. But these responses, while perhaps understandable in the context of a speeding ticket, are deadly when offered in response to our violation of God’s law.

The gospel is not difficult to believe and accept because of the good news of free grace in Christ. It is difficult to believe and accept because of its universal and absolute condemnation of humanity and its testimony of my personal, desperate need for God’s grace. The good news of the gospel is only good news for those who hear, believe, and accept the bad news of what we really are apart from Christ, and that is something unregenerate and rebellious people do not want to hear, including plenty of unregenerate and rebellious people in churches. I know I am a sinner, but I need to be reminded of it, often. I cannot rightly understand God’s grace without first coming to terms with my condition without it, and I certainly will not appreciate what Christ has done until I know why He had to do it.

I wish I could say a speeding ticket was enough to convince me once and for all that I am a sinner and need God’s grace, but it is not enough. My defensiveness upon receiving it is ample proof there is still far too much self within me and far too little self-denial. I need the law to reveal and condemn my sin, even though it provokes my sinful nature to sin still more. I love God’s law, not only for its moral beauty but also for its convicting clarity. May God help us to listen to His law and see ourselves more clearly in it. -JME