Monday, February 12, 2024

Black Licorice Matters, and My Repentance

Photo courtesy pixabay.com

I should have known that yesterday’s sermon might get me in trouble. Lessons on baptism always have the potential to create controversy. Contrary to recent reports, my views on the sacrament have not changed, and what I taught yesterday was consistent with the Westminster Standards and (the best representatives of) the Reformed tradition. But I knew it was possible some might express concerns or objections, and they sure did.


It started as soon as morning worship ended. Echoes of the Doxology were still in the air when I began hearing complaints. Our congregation has put up with a lot over the last ten years. They have weathered controversy surrounding their pastor before. It isn’t easy to love someone committed to wearing sweater vests in Arizona, especially ones that he’s owned since high school, but the longsuffering of the ROPC saints has known no bounds… until now.


In retrospect, I should have known I was pushing too hard, too far. I should have been content to simply abide in the language of Scripture and of the Confession. Eventually, it would be too much and even my dearest friends and most ardent supporters would be compelled to turn their back to me. I hoped we never would see that day, but it has finally come. Like Mel Gibson’s character in The Patriot, “I have long feared my sins would return to visit me, and the cost is more than I can bear.”


I thought the analogy I offered was appropriate and should have been acceptable. Granted, even the most spiritual of believers still experience the lingering effects of a sinful nature, so there is always the possibility that someone might feel convicted by my illustration. But who can honestly believe there ever would have been black licorice if Adam had not broken covenant by eating the forbidden fruit? We live in a fallen world, and I know of no better evidence than the celebration of embalmed vegetables, the domestication of uppity felines, and the existence of black jelly beans.


Alas, I cannot defend my statement in view of the controversy it has produced. I am confident I spoke the truth, but now I must question whether I did so in love. When I pointed out that the Body of Christ is a mixed bag and sometimes has black licorice in it, one of the young ladies in our congregation immediately observed, “That’s just what a Federal Visionist would say!” When I shared the rapidly erupting frustration with our church officers, several of them joined the chorus of complainants and proudly affirmed their appreciation for the flavor of black licorice. (Even now I can scarcely believe they did so, but I saw it with my own eyes.) Men who have endured questions about me for years indicated this was the final straw. They had supported me through fire and flood, but this was a bridge too far. They could not follow. In despair I shared my pain with my own family, and in a scene reminiscent of the opening lines of The Pilgrim’s Progress, one of my sons replied: “I would just like to state that I like black licorice.” That’s when I realized how serious the situation is. Not only have I alienated many of the brethren whom I love, but I may be disqualified from ministry by the disorder in my own house. I am undone.


All of us have learned a lot about public apologies in the last several years. I want all of you to know that I am committed to doing better. I am listening to you. I am entering a season of listening. I want this to be a safe space for you to share your feelings about black jelly beans and all of the other things that offend you. I realize now that my views are outdated, oppressive, and hurtful. Some people like black jelly beans, and they may even choose to eat them with pickles while stroking Fluffy, the CEO of their house. We should all be accepting of each other, and I must lead the way. Black jelly beans are jelly beans, and licorice (as I was educated last night) is derived from a plant, which means it is consistent with a pre-lapsarian, Edenic world.


I have erred greatly… even in how I pronounce the word erred, as many of you know… but I am committed to doing the work of rebuilding trust. It will not be easy. It may take a long time. I may have to step away from ministry for a while and build my brand on Facegram and Twit-tok before launching a new church in which all flavors of jelly beans are welcomed and accepted and those who hate pickles are shunned. Thank you, in advance, for your patience with me. I hear you. I will do better. I am grateful for those who love me enough to tell me when I am an idiot. This is the first day of the rest of my life.  –JME