Tuesday, May 12, 2015

What Could Change Your Mind?

My religious convictions have changed quite a bit in the last decade, especially in the last 6 years. After spending more than three decades in the non-instrumental churches of Christ, my views on salvation, worship, baptism, and the church have changed considerably. Some assume the changes in my teaching and practice were the result of worldly motives, but the Lord knows I was not looking to change my beliefs when it happened. The changes in my faith have enriched and blessed my life in many ways, but they certainly have not made life easier. Nevertheless, the changes in my thinking and practice were necessary once my understanding of Scripture changed. I could not believe one thing and teach another. That is hypocrisy.

What could change your religious convictions? Is it possible for your understanding of Scripture to change, or is your mind completely closed? Are you able to learn as you read and study the Bible, or do you do so only to confirm what you already believe? Having confidence in our beliefs is good. We should not continually doubt, question, and worry over settled matters of the faith. But we must still have the humility to recognize we could be (and likely are) wrong about some things we believe. None of us know or understand Scripture perfectly; we all have much to learn and plenty of room to grow. So what could change your religious convictions?

What changed my mind was the consistent and inescapable testimony of Scripture. The more I read my Bible, the more reasons I found to question what I believed. I did not desire or intend to abandon what I had thought for so long, but there are three things I know with certainty that compelled me to continue studying and adjusting my views. First, I know there is a God and that Jesus is His Son. Second, I know the Bible is God’s word and trustworthy in all it teaches. Third, I know we ought to believe and obey the Bible no matter what it costs.

The Jews in Berea listened to Paul’s teaching with great eagerness (Acts 17:11). They did not accept his teaching uncritically, but they listened carefully and searched the Scriptures daily to see whether what he said was so. We ought to do the same. Every time we open the Bible we can learn and grow. We can be confident in the teaching and authority of Scripture. Men make mistakes, but the word of God will not lead us astray. Be willing to let the Bible change your mind, and read it accordingly. –JME