Monday, December 29, 2014

2015 Reading Goals



I have always been an avid reader, but I have rarely organized or recorded my reading over an extended period of time. I began keeping a list of books I read in the summer of 2013, and I set specific targets for my reading in 2014, modest enough but sufficient to motivate me, and I easily surpassed those goals. Lately I have been thinking about 2015 and what I hope to read and accomplish in the New Year.

There are several factors that significantly affect the nature, content, and volume of my reading. These include my off-and-on involvement in seminary and graduate level studies, my workload with the church, and the amount of time I spend in language study or other disciplines. I have curtailed my online engagement and social media presence to allow more time for productive activity, such as meaningful reading, but my schedule since moving to Arizona provides far less opportunity for extended reading time than in years past.

The form and content of my yearly reading record is somewhat arbitrary. At least so far, I have chosen not to record everything I read. I do not log my Bible reading as part of my reading record, though it consumes a significant part of my reading time. I also do not record journal articles, essays, booklets, or individuals chapters or sections of books that I read in the course of study and research. I only log books, complete books, which I read during the course of the year. These books vary significantly in length. The longest one I read in 2014 was over 900 pages. The shortest may have been only 60-90 pages. What constitutes a book and what a booklet may be a bit subjective, and when I am uncertain, I generally do not record it. So my log is actually a very selective and incomplete list of what I read each year, perhaps as little as 30-40% of my total reading volume.

I decided my 2015 reading goals would be more focused on content and genre than total volumes. I have decided to read 100 books in 2015, more than most people read but much less than many passionate readers. The challenge will be in the nature of those 100 books. I have decided to divide the year’s reading according to specific categories. I intend to read a minimum of 12 classics, 12 books on history, 12 works of historical theology, 4 biographies, and to read the entire New Testament in two different languages (Koine Greek and Esperanto). This leaves 58 books as “open electives,” unrestricted as to content or category. This challenge will require me to read at least one classic, one history book, and one work of historical theology every month, plus one biography every quarter. This will be the most challenging aspect of my reading in 2015 since most of the volumes in those categories will be longer, denser, and more time-consuming than the average novel or work of non-fiction. But I am excited about the challenge, and I am looking forward to increasing the difficulty and reward involved in meeting my reading goals.

Posting goals like this one is not something I normally do. I generally prefer to keep my personal goals and daily disciplines off the public radar. But after seeing how keeping a simple reading log helped me over the last 17 months and how simple reading targets made me a more disciplined and effective reader, I hope posting these details about my 2015 plan might encourage and inspire readers to develop similar goals and strategies for themselves. Whether it is reading 100 books a year or only 1 book a month, reading more and better books in 2015 will be a blessing to the vast majority of people. What matters is not how many books you read but what you read, how you read, and what you take away from it. It is far better to read fewer books but to read them well than to read many books but learn nothing from them. Most of us will benefit from reading more, reading better books, and using better reading habits. Plan to do so in the New Year. -JME