Friday, September 19, 2014

Convictional Separation



I grew up in Churches of Christ, in a very conservative sub-set of the Churches of Christ known as “non-institutional churches.” That tradition is characterized by many things, some good and some bad. Among the very good characteristics of the movement is a deep love for the Bible and a strong commitment to obedience to the Scriptures. Every week the Bible’s authority was affirmed and verses read or cited that supported the doctrinal and practical distinctions of those churches. Bible classes were just that, Bible classes. We studied, and we learned. Now there may have been a lack of textual variety to some of those classes. Certain books and themes were studied often while others only infrequently or not at all. There was also an undeniable lack of theological rigor and depth to much of that teaching. The same basic truths were recited again and again and again while great swaths of fundamental theology were overlooked. But there is no doubt my initial love for Scripture, study of it, and commitment to living under its authority can be attributed to my experience and upbringing in Churches of Christ.

My religious commitments and theological convictions changed significantly in my late twenties and early thirties. The foundational commitment to divine authority and Scripture-driven discipleship did not waver, but the content of my theology and the paradigms by which I had previously understood salvation were dramatically and irreversibly altered. During that time many friends in the Churches of Christ began to fear for my soundness and, consequently, for my salvation. They responded to these fears in many different ways. Some acted against my ministry, taking steps they believed were necessary to protect the churches I influenced. Others responded to me personally, seeking to rebuke and correct my thinking so as to reclaim me to the way of salvation, as they understood it. Eventually a separation became inevitable, and though it occurred in a way none of us could have predicted, the Lord finally moved me and my family out of the Churches of Christ and into a non-denominational, evangelical communion.

Separation is always painful, even when it is unavoidable or even necessary. But one thing I can say with sincerity about my separation from Churches of Christ, those who stood against me did so because they believed Scripture required it. We may disagree, passionately so, on doctrine, theology, and the gospel, but we are united in an unswerving and uncompromising commitment to obeying the word of God no matter what it means. I respect that conviction, even though I may deplore some of the tactics used by my critics. My commitment to the authority of Scripture required me to admit when my understanding of particular issues (e.g. justification by faith alone) changed, and my friends in Churches of Christ were similarly obligated to oppose what they considered to be false doctrine.

If and when believers separate, let it be because our commitment to Christ and to obeying the teachings of his word require it to be so. It is sad how rarely this seems to be the case. People leave churches because they don’t like the music or want more social programs. Some want a better youth program. Others complain they don’t get out of it what they want, never stopping to question what God might want. The departed often act from very superficial motives, and churches divide for reasons that are rooted in carnality, not Christ-centered conviction. Separation because of irreconcilable and unacceptance differences in biblical conviction is regrettable, but it is much to be preferred to separation because of personality or personal preference. If the unity of believers must be disrupted, let it be that our allegiance to Christ and conscientious obedience to him is the cause. -JME