Thursday, May 15, 2014

How Grace Grabbed Me



I grew up in the Churches of Christ. My grandfather and father were elders. My dad was a full-time CoC preacher. I was convinced CoC members were the one, true church established by Christ. I preached for years in the CoC and was as committed to their doctrine as anyone. I denied believers in other churches were Christians, and I proudly proclaimed a gospel of salvation by grace, through faith, received by good works of obedience, and retained in the same way.
Then God broke my heart. He crushed my proud, stubborn spirit. He showed me what a Pharisee I was, how I had wronged so many sincere believers, how I “traveled land and sea to win one proselyte and when he was won made him twice the son of hell” I was (Matt. 23:15). God showed me I had never really understood the gospel. I had believed in Jesus and tried to love Him. But I had taught a false gospel of salvation by good works. That is not the gospel.
When God finally showed me the gospel, I repented of what I had believed and taught before. It got me in a lot of trouble. I still have family members and friends who will not associate with me. They think I am lost because I have abandoned the doctrines they consider to be the truth.
There are some wonderful, godly people in Churches of Christ, and I learned much from them. But I do not regret the journey God took me on that led me here. I thank God for His grace and for the work He did to open my eyes to it. Once a person discovers the free gift of grace extended in the gospel, there is no going back. -JME