Monday, December 10, 2012

Celebrating the Birth of Our Lord



Should Christ Have Any Place in Christmas?

For years I objected to the religious celebration of Christ’s birth. I steadfastly refused to erect a Christmas tree or adorn my house with lights or wreaths. I had no objection to skipping work on December 25th. I gladly exchanged gifts with family and loved ones and enjoyed the comforts of traditional food and family gatherings. But I studiously avoided referring to any of these activities as Christmas since I considered doing so a tacit concession to pagan and Roman Catholic traditions. Each year in early December, I would preach a lesson describing the pagan origins of the Christmas holiday and expounding various biblical statements about the dangers of such holy day traditions (e.g. Ga. 4:10-11; Zec. 7:1-7). I did affirm the liberty of my brethren who chose to celebrate certain days and decorate their homes in specific ways (Ro. 14:5-6). But I was critical of those who, inconsistently, in my judgment, erected a Christmas tree and adopted the language and hymnody of the Christmas holiday but insisted they rejected any religious significance to their celebration.

Over the last several years, however, my thinking on this issue has changed. I am ashamed of my former attitude and the judgmental and arrogant way in which I viewed those I considered weaker brethren. There are many reasons I could give for having changed my view, below are five passages which played a big part in changing my attitude about the celebration of Christ’s birth.

Luke 2:8-20, 25-38

“Non-institutional” churches of Christ like to point out the absence of any biblical command to celebrate the birth of Christ. But those who place such importance on Bible examples seem to attribute little significance to the celebration and thanksgiving that accompanied the first advent of Christ. I once had no objection to singing Joy To The World in July but would have frowned on doing so in December. Whether the Lord was born in December (which is doubtful), and despite the absence of any specific command to commemorate His birth, there is biblical precedent for joining with the angels and shepherds in praising Christ and giving thanks to the Father for sending His Son as Savior of the world. Is it wrong for men today to do on December 25th what the angels, shepherds, Simeon, and Anna did when Christ was born?

Romans 14:4-13

Observing special days as a matter of faith and religious devotion is a matter of personal liberty. This should not be confused with making such days a religious obligation (cf. Ga. 4:10-11); no one can bind such days as a matter of law. Nor should anyone confuse ritual for real religion. But the religious observance of some days is clearly acceptable to the Lord. Romans 14 should end all judging of believers on this matter. Sadly, as my own history demonstrates, it does not.

Luke 13:10-17

Though Jesus often violated the rabbinic traditions associated with the Sabbath day, He never acted contrary to God’s law (cf. Mt. 12:1-14). Jesus’ behavior on the Sabbath shows us that while it is never right to do wrong, it is also never wrong to do right. Some acts which are morally neutral are not appropriate at certain times and places (e.g. buying and selling in the temple, Mk. 11:15-18). But matters of righteousness such as healing the infirm and helping the needy are never unlawful. Ironically, for years I was like the synagogue official in the above story. I had no objection to praising and thanking God for the birth of Christ, but I objected to doing so on December 25th. Is it ever unlawful to praise God?

Philippians 1:15-18

Paul recognized not everyone preaching Christ did so with pure motives, but he still rejoiced when Christ was preached. Christmas is a time when many people honor the birth of Christ. This may be the only time some honor Christ during the entire year, but their impiety during the other eleven months does not make the general celebration of Christ in December invalid. If Paul could rejoice in the truthful preaching of insincere men, can we not rejoice in the legitimate praise of God for the coming of Christ even though it is offered by some who are disobedient or uncommitted?

Mark 7:6-9

For many years I pointed out God is not honored by innovative religious traditions; He is honored by heartfelt obedience. I still believe that to be the case. Human willfulness sometimes masquerades as religious piety, and human traditions sometimes become stumbling blocks for the sincere seeker of God (Mt. 23:15). But the tradition of Christmas is not a stumbling block causing believers to sin or lose faith. The judgmental tradition of denouncing its observance, however, can be a stumbling block. The condemnation of sincere believers for a religious tradition that may not be necessary but is not sinful is both unbiblical and harmful (Ro. 14:10-13). Individual conscience should be respected, and no one should participate in any post-biblical tradition which they find unhelpful or inappropriate. But should we reject the commandment of God permitting a brother his personal convictions in order to keep our tradition of rejecting any religious connotations to Christmas?

--Joel M. Ellis, Jr. (December 2011)
(Revised December 2012)